4.01.2009

Extra! Extra!


Yeah, it's true, as Stephen Whitworth observed in a Monday post, journalists are grievously underpaid. But there are fringe benefits. March 24, I happened to be at Regina International Airport to see a friend off on a flight to Toronto. As was leaving, I was stunned to spot British beauty Keira Knightley, best-known for her role as Elizabeth Swan in the Pirates of the Caribbean triology, descending the escalator in the arrival area. (Celebrity Gossip)

While she was waiting for her luggage to unload at the carousel, she spotted a prairie dog stand nearby and went over and picked up our March 12 issue with dapper David Geiss on the cover.

As she was leafing through it I wandered over and said, "A woman after my own heart."

"Pardon me?" she replied.

I explained my involvement with prairie dog, complimented Knightley on her work with Amnesty International, and we ended up having a great conversation that ultimately resulted in me securing an interview with her that evening at the Hotel Sask where she talked at length about her commitmment to human rights, her battle against dyslexia as a child, her infamous 2006 Vanity Fair cover with Scarlett Johanson (MSNNBC), her upcoming appearance as Zelda in the F. Scott Fitzgerald biopic The Beautiful & the Damned and, at editor Steve's request, her role as Padme Amidala's decoy Sabe in Star Wars Episode I: The Phanton Menace. (You Tube)

We did the interview over drinks, then strolled over to my place on the Scarth St. Mall to watch the new Leonard Cohen DVD Live in London. Great night! Great interview! Look for it in our April 9 issue.

2 comments:

CR said...

Why didn't you just go ahead and claim that your visit at the hotel went all the way? Would it have made the April fool's joke too obvious?

Ang Radioman said...

That's funny, I just secured an interview with Salma Hayek. Actually, it was a picture of Salma Hayek in a magazine. In my defense, the page was moving slightly in the breeze, so it took me a few minutes to figure out the situation.