1.18.2010

Pick of the Day: Regina City Council Meeting

I was almost prepared to admit defeat. I mean, it had to happen some time, right? I've been doing this pick-of-the-day thing since mid-September. At some point you'd have to figure that I'd come up dry trying to find an activity to recommend. My default option has always been to pick a film playing at one of the multi-plexes, which is fair game as technically it is something to do. It just doesn't show very much imagination on my part.


Still, I'm not writing this in Montreal or Vancouver, I'm writing it in Regina. Today's Monday. It's the dead of winter. Did You Hear About the Morgans? here I come, right? Well, not so fast. I don't know what will be on the agenda, but tonight City Council happens to be meeting for the first time in 2010.

2010 promises to be another interesting year in Regina. For the last few years, the city's been engaged in a ton of studies to inform future growth and development. Soon, some of them will hopefully begin to bear fruit. Then there's the looming dust-up with the province over the latter backing away from its promise in last year's budget to direct a one-per cent share of the PST to cities to give them another source of revenue. And the housing crunch. And downtown revitalization. And the injection of new blood on Council with Chris Szarka and John Findura being elected -- okay, you get the idea.

Bottom line, there's a lot going on in Regina at present. To ensure we achieve our stated goal of being being a sustainable, progressive, inclusive city we all need to keep up to date on what's happening at City Hall. So if you get a chance, drop by City Hall tonight. Things kick off at 5:30 p.m.

No comments: