8.17.2009

This Week at City Hall


Monday, August 17
City Council (5:30 pm): Council will be considering the Interim Housing Incentives Policy which offers incentives to developers to build new, affordable rental units. Seeing as it has, after much delay, been approved by Executive Committee (which has all city councillors as members) this should breeze through council. I expect there'll be much self congratulations over this one -- and it does deserve back patting -- but I wonder if there'll be mention of how many times this had to go before Exec Committee before it was passed? (How many times, you ask? Four times.) Might've been nice to have this in force six months ago.

Also on the agenda, a request for support for some independent living suites, a bylaw amendment so that construction can begin on another Harbour Landing neighbourhood, a proposal to acquire land needed for a drainage system for the Global Transportation Hub, a request to reduce the housing density in a portion of Harbour Landing, a request to boost the housing density in a portion of the Greens on Gardiner, and a request to adjust a bylaw to accomodate parking at 1700 Elphinstone.

Councillor Flegel will be making a motion about noise attenuation in the Uplands and Argyle Park area. Councillor Clipsham will be making another motion about backyard fire pits. Councillor Murray will be asking "What's up with all this construction waste in people's garbage bins?" (Yeah. Seriously. What is up with all that construction waste in my garbage bin? And while we're on the subject, why do you construction people always pick my backyard to dispose of your rusted out hot water heaters? Why???) And Councillor Hincks will be after another extension to the bike path system. (Yay!)

Oh, and before I forget... about that drainage system (and I'm jotting this down more as a mental note for myself, so feel free to skip along down the page to a kitten video): the report says there are no environmental implications arising from the purchase of land to facilitate the construction of a drainage channel from the Global Transportation Hub into Cottonwood Creek. But wouldn't rainwater runoff from the GTH be a little on the contaminated side thanks to all the oil and the gasoline and the what-have-you? Or am I missing something?

9 comments:

observer said...

i like that there is a lot of construction waste in the bins. i get a lot of my own materials from things that people throw away.

Paul Dechene said...

Maybe you do. Mostly we get busted up drywall, the aforementioned hot water heaters, and grotty rotted-out wood. Oh, and couches. Don't forget the water soaked couches.

observer said...

right, that's a good point. of course, i pick over stuff in the bins and i often leave a lot behind. i mostly see the couches in area with high concentration of rentals.

Paul Dechene said...

In theory, all the dumpster-style garbage bins are being phased out anyway, so we'll neither have them to worry about nor to pick over. (And, for the record, I've scored some treasures from dumpsters.... just not my own.)

I do worry that, once they're gone, I'll get just as many couches in my yard... they just won't get picked up anymore.

Pat said...

SO MUCH FURNITURE. We get all sorts of things in ours in the Cathedral area. As I type this there's a child's desk in my buildings with an afro'd disco stud in platform boots and the phrases "Don't stop dreamin'" and "boogie on down" painted on the surface.

Illuminations said...

I found a body in my dumpster once. I took his wallet.

Stephen Whitworth said...

No you did not.

Carle Steel said...

Real cities don't leave you stranded with your old stuff. When the street starts looking like a big crap pile -- get this -- city owned trucks come and haul it away. It's part of the, I forget, like where you pay property taxes, and they're pooled, you know, like that? Can't remember what that's called.

pacman said...

I like how you have presented the information in full detail. Keep up the great work and please stop by my site crane trucks sometime. Keep it up..