8.18.2009

RPL Open House

I posted something on this last week, then e-mailed the RPL for confirmation and never heard back from them. Received an e-mail from another source today saying that there will be a drop-in open house Wednesday Aug. 19 from 1-5 p.m. at Central Library to discuss progress that's been made on plans for an expanded downtown library. The announcement is framed in terms of an invite to Regina Public Library Stakeholders. I assume that means everyone, but these days it's hard to be sure, as some people/organizations apparently hold bigger stakes in public facilities and policy issues than others. Why else would they receive direct invitations, while others, like prairie dog, only learn of things through word of mouth?


UPDATE FROM WHITWORTH, 2:20 P.M. : I have a call out to the Library and will report back on what this thing is before the end of the day. Is it innocent? Is it sinister? We'll soon find out!

WHITWORTH UPDATE: 2:24 P.M. Amazing what can be cleared up with a phone call. There's no conspiracy, it's an open-to-the-public drop-in. I am told we were definitely sent a media notice (which I can't find). I'll post more details when I have them officially, which will be later this afternoon.

4 comments:

Dakota said...

I received an invitation, but only because I wrote what was referred to as a "passionate" response in lieu of attending the previous "visioning session." Apparently being passionate is as simple as being interested in libraries and heritage instead of hotels and cafes.

The reason I didn't attend the last meeting is because it took place during work hours, and it looks like I'll be missing this one as well. I emailed Jeff Barber's secretary (she sent out the invite) asking if any consultations would take place outside of work hours so that those of us with full time employment can have our say ... I have yet to receive a response.

VERY unsuspicious.

Stephen Whitworth said...

Just a point of legality--I can't find any e-mails from the RPL on this in my inbox but it's possible I missed it because there's a pile of crap in there that makes it hard to find things.

But as far as I can tell, the only reason I know about this is because an initiative-taking Reginan e-mailed us on it.

(Yes, we should do a better job keeping an eye on these things anyway but we're freelancer-driven with a skeletal staff it's tough.)

Dakota said...

Good to hear that there's no conspiracy.

Though I'm still unhappy that I'll be at work.

Hopefully there are shift-workers, retirees, and unemployed people who share my hopes and dreams for the future of the library!

Stephen Whitworth said...

Can you book an hour offer for worthy, legitimate, community-related participation? Probably worth making the request to your overlords. (Besides, the library will be open tomorrow night, won't it?)