7.01.2009

Why I Love Canada

I love Canada because we have real seasons--not just hot, hotter and too hot.

I love Canada because even in a dysfunctional electoral system that makes people vote for politicians or parties they don't like or risk wasting their votes, we have four different parties represented in the House Of Commons. Not two like certain other so-called democracies.

Free, universal health care. Love it. Charter of Rights and Freedoms? Excellent!

I love Canada because as far as I'm aware, we haven't recently had any gay-bashing yahoo cops storm into a new gay bar and give some guy a brain injury and then be defended by their police chief with the "gay panic" defence. (Okay, sure, our RCMP have been known to kill foreigners, spy on musicians, be complicit in torture and occasionally gas non-violent protesters and babies, but they're not marching into gay bars and beating the crap out of people. It's something, right? Maybe?)

I love Canada because we freaking kick ass at hockey.

Happy Canada Day!

No comments: